[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] Poultices

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, c stock wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm _very_ new to bookbinding, and have been reading through the
> archives here.
> There are quite a few mentions of using a poultice (e.g. of methyl
> cellulose) for various things. I was just wondering if there's a special
> meaning or technique for poultice in this context, or if it just refers
> to a thick layer of whatever the substance happens to be?

The American Heritage Dictionary defines poultice as "A soft moist mass of
bread, meal, clay, or other adhesive substance, usually heated, spread on
cloth, and applied to warm, moisten, or stimulate an aching or inflamed
part of the body".  Obviously bookbinding poultices don't precisely match
this definition, but I think that poultices differ from other possible
thick layers of whatever in that the substance is being applied
temporarily, in order to affect the material underneath it (usually to
soften or moisten it in a controlled way).  So there's a special meaning,
but I don't think there's a uniformity of technique.



                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
         Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
            Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
             ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED -- NOW October 1, 2004

      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]