[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] Casing/binding query (fwd)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, James Tapley wrote:

I believe that the distinctions between casing and binding are still  current
amongst all professional binders.

I've talked with a number of professional binders in my area lately (I wouldn't call myself a professional binder yet, but I do work with them), and my experience of their language usage is that they do use the term "case" and "casing in" as you do and distinguish different book structures from one another, but most of them use the term "binding" to include the full range of methods of leaf and cover attachment, including plebeian things like case bindings and perfect-bound paperbacks. That's why I asked when the more restrictive usage of the term "binding" was current.

As to what I would call a book in loose sheets? Just that, a book in sheets.

That wasn't really my question -- my question was more, what do you call something that isn't a book in sheets, and what do you call the process of removing something from the category "books in sheets"?


    The Bonefolder: an e-journal for the bookbinder and book artist

            For all your subscription questions, go to the
                     Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]