[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] Casing/binding query (fwd)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, James Tapley wrote:

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:34:02 EST
From: James Tapley <JTHANDBOOK@xxxxxxx>
Reply-To: Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Casing/binding query (fwd)

Hi Rachel ... like Charles I recognize the wide use of the term  binding to
mean almost any means of assembling the leaves of a book and the  covering put
upon them. That certainly has it uses as a means of shorthand,  especially
with the wider public who for the most part neither know nor care (at  least
until the work fails) just how their books were put together.
I am sorry that I missed the point of your loose sheets question. If I were
to sew them I would call it a sewn bookblock. I would then be specific about
all  of my forwarding methods and materials. And I would most certainly
distinguish between casing and binding in the cover.

The first quoted segment above actually is much more responsive to the question ("And what term would you use to distinguish loose sheets from a structure in which the the leaves are attached to one another and a cover?") than the second. My point in asking it is that the broader concept of binding is a useful one, and I wanted to know what words someone who considers that broader sense incorrect could use when talking generally.

Anyway, I'm probably getting tedious so I'll stop now.


    The Bonefolder: an e-journal for the bookbinder and book artist

            For all your subscription questions, go to the
                     Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]