Re: [BKARTS] Hot melt equipment

If the binding machine doesn't appropriately roughen the spine
before applying the adhesive, this can be true. It all depends
on the design of the machine and the skill of the operator, and
how often the roughing blade is maintained. (Sharpened and
balanced.)

On small machines the blades should be resharpened about every
30,000 to 35,000 books. Larger machines can run an eight hour
shift, full out, (15K an hour,) without servicing the blade. (I
am using a 11" finished size of the binding edge. Your mileage
may vary.)

I have to admit that my situation is publishing specialty text
books for the 3YO preschool through grade 12 market and runs
are as small as half a dozen copies (Produced by a Doccutek,)
to 20,000 copys produced by offset or belt press.

MayKitten
--- Jules Siegel <siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A bookbinder made the following observations about hot-melt.
> Do you agree?
>
> "Hot-melt machines lay down a strip of gooey plastic onto the
> exposed
> spine-edges of the pages and the consequences can be seen in
> many
> coffee-table books and paper-backs, eventually some of the
> pages, given
> the flexing of opening the book, come loose."
>

> --
> JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764 77501-Cancun Q. Roo Mexico
> Cancun User's Guide 2005 http://www.lulu.com/jules
>
> Newsroom-l, news and issues for journalists
> http://www.newsroom-l.net/blog

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

From the book, Charge of the Goddess