Re: [BKARTS] Any experience with wide format Epsons?

On Mar 2, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

From: John Ptak <3legskilled@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: March 1, 2005 1:19:45 PM EST
Subject: Any experience with wide format Epsons?

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Epson Stylus Pro 7600 (24 inch) or Stylus Pro 9600 (44 inch)? Or for that matter the Stylus Pro 4000 (17 inch)? I've used the Pro 10600 and have liked it but now it is time for me to buy my own--unfortunately the 10600 is a bit beyond me... Thanks, John Ptak

I have the Epson 2200 and the Epson 7600. I have had both for at least two years. I think the Epson line of printers to be the best for the majority of my work, which is photographic in nature. I began printing with the HP line, but moved to the Epson 1520 and 1160, when they came out and then progressed to the models I have now. All of my hand-made books were done on ink-jet printers.

The quality of printing on both machines is excellent. Color control is
infinite, depending on your level of color management knowledge and
experience. (I work on a Mac system...G5, with 23 in LCD monitor).

One factor to consider when stepping up from a 13 inch printer to a
larger system, is of course the additional costs. Paper and ink costs
are more than doubled when going to the 24 inch printer. I run the 220
ml cartridges in the 7600 for cost savings, but still spend an average
of $300-400 every time I order new ink.

Paper is another story. My research in the available papers has cost
quite a bit. I belong to lists which, if read consistently, help with
choices, but ultimately paper is a personal choice. Depending on
whether I'm interested in archival, cost, surface, etc., there are many
choices, with the good ones being expensive.

I also found that the learning curve of using the larger printer was
based on my knowledge of the smaller 2200. Setting up the unlimited
choices of printing out of a number of programs can be confusing, but I
have always enjoyed that kind of problem solving. It's just that when
the materials are so expensive, I have caught myself putting the
expense before creation. For me, I stopped that, but it is a factor to
consider.

All of that said, and realizing that with the investment of the large
printer, I'm "literally" in with the professionals of printing (read
"business"), I love the printer. I'm an artist, and I find the printer
suits my needs of large scale prints, just like my darkroom of 12 years
ago did.

If you have had direct experience with a large printer, you probably
know most of what I've experienced.

Good luck!

Belinda Peters