[BKARTS] Barbara Henry's Letterpress II class at CBA

The week of May 9 through 13, Barbara Henry will be teaching  Letterpress II: Printing a Fine Press Edition from Type.

2005 marks the 150th anniversary of the publication of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass. To celebrate, we're going to do something Whitmanesque. So as not to be encumbered during a long walk, Walt used to tear out the pages of a book
he wanted to read and stuff them into his pocket. To save his own heavy book from mutilation, we're going to print
a part of it letterpress, as Walt was trained to do, in portable pamphlet form. Take a walk back 150 years and
get to know Walt, and letterpress, a little  better. Learn the traditional art of fine printing as we set a chapbook
in type and print an edition.  Designing, type handling (from purchase to printing and distribution), paper and
inks will be discussed, as well as the adjustment and operation of the Vandercook Proof Press.
 Learn the difference between foundry type and monotype- and between type and polymer.
May 9 -13, Monday - Friday, 10 am - 4 pm  Barbara Henry  $450/$475

This is going to be an exciting, challenging class. Call the Center for more info, and register online at http://www.centerforbookarts.org/newsite/classes/

Sarah Nicholls
Program Manager
Center for Book Arts