From: "Christian Spinillo" <letpress@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:27 AM
Subject: Re: Any experience with wide format Epsons?

TO add a few points I forgot...

Stay with one ink and one ink only, it's the only way to ensure color
consistency.  I would reccomend staying with the Epson inks, as from my
experience, some of the third party makers, don't have the quality control
that epson employs, just my experience.

This isn't to say, that all of a sudden, one day your profile is out of
wack, but this is a result of a machine made world in which your paper
and/or ink formula could change and you would have to do a new color
profile.  Welcome to digital...

Also, some great paper is Innova.  This paper company was started by two
of the guys from Hahnemuhle and it's fantastic, this much I can attest.
It's sold in both sheet and roll form.

I buy a lot of paper from  www.shadesofpaper.com, mainly because he's in
New Jersey where I live, but he has great prices as well.

Christian

I can add a few bits of information to what my good friend, Karen
Hanmer says.

While Karen apparently buys her Epson ink and paper from
Digitalartsupplies.com, I used to buy from that source but I have found
that there are better prices available elsewhere.

Ink for the popular Epson Photo 2200 sells at Digitalartsupplies.com
for $11.35 per cartridge.  At Inkjetart.com it sells for $10.49 per
cartridge or $9.99 if you buy at least 4 of a color (and they have free
shipping for orders over $99).  At Atlex.com, that ink sells for $8.90
per cartridge.  No one has prices better than Atlex.com on this ink.
Obviously, the savings are significant if you are a heavy user.

Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Duo 196 paper in 13x19 size sells for $4.01/sheet
at Digitalart.com.  Inkjetart.com sells that paper for the same price
except that shipping is free in orders over $99.  That same paper sells
for $3.92/sheet at Atlex.com.

For those who want to make books with photo-grade paper, Inkjetart.com
sells a house brand paper called Duobrite Matte.  In 13x19 size, it
sells for about 52 cents a sheet in quantities.  They have recently had
the converter get it in short-grain sheets, something that is necessary
for making books and which is very hard to find in most paper.  It is
very good paper although you have to play around with the profiles to
get the best results.

In conclusion, the folks at Digitalart.com are very helpful but the
prices aren't as good as you can find at the other two places.

Jim Welker

I love my Epson 4000. It replaces my 1280 (with pigment inks and a
continuous ink system), which replaced my 3000, which replaced my 1520.

The dot pattern is barely visible even with a loupe, it feeds nicely
(especially once I learned to bypass some of its paper
handling "features"), the 110 or 220 ml cartridges are economical. I
have seen 3rd party pigmented ink cartridges available at greater
savings, but I have not tried them.

I got some custom profiles (software) written by Inkjet Mall/Cone
Editions to match the ink to the papers I use most (Mohawk Superfine
cover and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag) and using the profiles I can get
accurate color, including very close to a neutral gray printing
grayscale images with the color inks.

I have not purchased it yet, but with the Colorburst RIP, this
printer will print longer than the 44" limit that is standard with
Epson desktop printers.

One problem with the printer: it will not print on paper smaller than
8 1/2 x 11. The savings on ink may compensate for the wasted paper, I'm
not sure.

Try Digitalartsupplies.com for good prices on inks and paper.

Karen

--
Karen Hanmer
karen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx