From: lori bernstein <loribernstein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: workshops in TN
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2005 4:59 PM
Hello,
I am writing to you as a fellow artist who is interested in papermaking,
since we have 3 special papermaking and bookarts workshops coming up in
June. My name is Lori Bernstein and I am a work study assistant for Shakerag
Workshops, which is held each year in June in Sewanee, Tennessee.

On June 12-18, Cynthia Thompson (from the Memphis College of Art) will
explore various western sheet forming and watermarking techniques. On June
19-25, Helen Hiebert, who owns "Enlightened Papers" in Portland Oregon, will
work with participants to make paper with which they will create lamps and
lanterns. Also during the June 19-25 week, Iowa artist Emily Martin will
lead a book arts class in which participants will learn a variety of
techniques to create handmade books, often using handmade papers.

Shakerag Workshops is a small workshop program, operating for only two weeks
in June, in which participants and faculty members live, eat, and work
together for a week on the Sewanee mountaintop. We emphasize good meals, and
we enjoy retreating from our ordinary worlds to focus on our art. Each
evening after dinner faculty members give slide/lectures, and our studios
are open through the evening so that participants can work, talk, and enjoy
one another's company. Our website, www.shakerag.org, has pictures of our
facilties and of our 2004 program, as well as more information about our
June 2005 workshops.

Enrollment in our classes is very limited, but we still have a few places
left in our papermaking classes (our limit is 15 participants in each
class). The cost of the week-long workshop is $550 which includes tuition
and meals, and housing costs vary from $125-$200 for the week. I thought
that you might enjoy this program, and June is a wonderful time for an
escape from the ordinary routine!

Let us know if this program interests you - we'd love to have you. For me,
Shakerag Workshops in June is a great treat to look forward to.

Lori Bernstein
Work-study Assistant

Shakerag contact information: info@xxxxxxxxxxxx, creishman@xxxxxxxxxxx, or Claire Reishman, director, 931-968-0210, Extension 3165

Shakerag Workshops Studio Intensives, 2005:
June 12-17: Cynthia Bringle (wheel-throwing, clay), Jean Hicks (felting),
Jim Ann Howard (watercolor), Pradip Malde (digital photography, video),
Sandi Pierantozzi (hand-building, clay), Cynthia Thompson (papermaking),
Lynne Vogel (spinning, dyeing, knitting)
June 19-24: Wendy Erickson (digital arts, textiles), George Harkins
(watercolor), Helen Hiebert (papermaking, lighting), Nick Joerling (clay,
wheel-throwing), Emily Martin (book arts), Jeff Oestreich and Lana Wilson
(clay, hand-building and wheel-throwing)