Re: [BKARTS] Throwing the book at library criminals

It's precisely because the "jerks" are few and far between among
librarians (no higher than in the rest of the population, I'm sure!)
that I resent the original mailing, which strikes me as one more
attempt to normalize an attitude of suspicious, discriminatory
arrogance towards users of the library who may be "different" from the
librarian's own point of view. I particularly dislike the use of the
word "criminals" in the header.

Whenever I teach (and I've taught in some pretty "different" places),
I have to offer my students a brief course on "getting over" when you
go to do research: wear a jacket or skirt, fake a British accent, drop
hints about "my faculty adviser" - stuff like that. A generation ago
many of my students wouldn't even have been allowed into Australia,
let alone its libraries. Next we'll be hearing complaints about
how "those people" never use the libraries anyhow. Surprise.

BTW - thanks, Shelly, for the link to the ALA code of conduct. I
particularly liked the following:

"The principles of this Code are expressed in broad statements to
guide ethical decision making. These statements provide a framework;
they cannot and do not dictate conduct to cover particular situations."

Talk is cheap.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language