Re: [BKARTS] Throwing the book at library criminals

>_Whenever I teach (and I've taught in some pretty "different" places),
>_I have to offer my students a brief course on "getting over" when you
>_go to do research: wear a jacket or skirt, fake a British accent, drop
>_hints about "my faculty adviser" - stuff like that. A generation ago
>_many of my students wouldn't even have been allowed into Australia,
>_let alone its libraries. Next we'll be hearing complaints about
>_how "those people" never use the libraries anyhow. Surprise.

If you have access to a copy of this article, it is brilliant --
Ross, Catherine Sheldrick and Patricia Dewdney.  Negative Closure:
Strategies and Counter-Strategies in the Reference Transaction.  Reference
& User Services Quarterly  38(2) (Nov 1998): 151-63.

 - Rachael Schechter
   University of Pennsylvania