From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
fran sendbuehler
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 1:00 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Four men plead not guilty in theft of rare books

I gather that Transylvania University Library doesn't have a rare
books collection or some sort of special arrangments for rare volumes
- that they go out on loan like any old mass printed copies of Michel
Foucault's works?

Pardon my cyncism - but people and libraries with rare books ought to
give them Some sort of protection. i don't have much sympathy for the
library that complains that its Darwin was pinched, but where was
Darwin... loose in the stacks?

It's irresponsible for a library to assume the regular library user
is going to know or care about rare volumes; those volumes ought to
be offered some sort of special housing or the library is doubly
irresponsible in thinking that ordinary storage and lending
conditions, not only the risks inherent in the stacks, will be enough
to preserve rare volumes, illuminated manuscripts and original
Audubon  pencil sketches.

fran sendbuehler

>Four men plead not guilty in theft of rare books
>
>Associated Press
>

>LEXINGTON, Ky. - Four men have pleaded not guilty to charges that they
stole
>rare books from the Transylvania University library.
>
>Warren C. Lipka, Spencer W. Reinhard, Charles T. Allen II and Eric J.
Borsuk
>entered the pleas Thursday in federal court. The Lexington men, all 20,
were
>arrested Feb. 11 and were indicted by a grand jury earlier this month.
They
>are charged with robbery, conspiracy and theft of major artworks.
>
>If convicted, each could face 75 years in prison, a $1.25 million fine
and
>15 years of supervised release.
>
>U.S. District Judge Jennifer Coffman set a May 16 trial date for the
men,
>but attorneys for Lipka and Borsuk said they thought a deal with
federal
>prosecutors could be reached before then. Attorneys for Allen and
Reinhard
>declined comment.
>
>Transylvania is a private school with about 1,100 students. Its library
>contains numerous rare volumes.
>
>The men are accused of taking several items from the library on Dec.
16,
>including a first edition of Charles Darwin's book, "The Origin of
Species

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>