 From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
 Behalf Of fran sendbuehler
 Sent: 11 March 2005 19:00
 To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: Re: Four men plead not guilty in theft of rare books

 I gather that Transylvania University Library doesn't have a
 rare books collection or some sort of special arrangments for
 rare volumes
 - that they go out on loan like any old mass printed copies
 of Michel Foucault's works?

 Pardon my cyncism - but people and libraries with rare books
 ought to give them Some sort of protection. i don't have much
 sympathy for the library that complains that its Darwin was
 pinched, but where was Darwin... loose in the stacks?

 It's irresponsible for a library to assume the regular
 library user is going to know or care about rare volumes;
 those volumes ought to be offered some sort of special
 housing or the library is doubly irresponsible in thinking
 that ordinary storage and lending conditions, not only the
 risks inherent in the stacks, will be enough to preserve rare
 volumes, illuminated manuscripts and original Audubon  pencil
 sketches.

fran sendbuehler

                   Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>