Re: [BKARTS] Four men plead not guilty in theft of rare books

So, there I was...

During the time I was restoring books at Lilly Library, Indiana Univ.,
(mid-1970's) I came across a 17th c. Latin dictionary in the undergraduate
library.  On the shelves.  I checked it out that afternoon and the next
day I showed it to the head cataloger, asking whether or not we should
transfer it to Lilly.

He looked it over, allowed as how we had half-a-dozen similar copies on our
shelves, and that it was actually more useful in the general collection.

"After all", he said, "some student might stumble across the book and find a
whole new direction in life."

Perhaps as a thief; perhaps as a scholar. (My words.)

All I know for certain is that the time I spent in the vaults and stacks
at Lilly, handling books, taught me more about the history and construction
of books through history than any class I've ever taken.

It also taught me to recognize the dictionary in the stacks, and Josiah Q.
Bennett (the cataloger) taught me the value of surprise.

Jack

(snip)

>Pardon my cyncism - but people and libraries with rare books ought to
>give them Some sort of protection.

(snip)

>fran sendbuehler

Thompson Conservation Lab.