[BKARTS] Number of artist book buyers?

Michael Andrews wrote:

I am told there only 3000 buyers world wide for artist books in
general.
More realistically a few hundred, so the competition is related less to
printing technologies, but more to marketing presence, content, and
etc.

This remark is very curious to me since I am very interested in the marketing of artist books. Can anyone confirm or refute this number of buyers?

Perhaps this could even open a discussion: How do we get more people to
buy artist books? Is it possible to expand that universe of collectors?

Have a good day,

Laura