Re: [BKARTS] your mail

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Frances Castle wrote:

Has anyone on this list ever checked out a dilapidated book from a
library and re-bound it without telling them and then just put the
barcode back on and returned it like nothing ever happened? Have you
ever heard of anyone doing this?

I haven't done it, and I haven't heard of someone successfully doing it. A local binder and book dealer has told me of having frantic students bringing in damaged books from the university libraries and asking him to repair them so they won't get in trouble; he's (correctly) instructed them to just return them, since there's a conservation lab that will do the work.

I think that it's quite inappropriate to rebind books without the owners'
permission or knowledge.  And I think that a lot of the maltreatment of
library books we see stems from not really thinking of the books as being
the property of the library.

Rachel