Date:    Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:14:41 -0500
From:    Richard Minsky
Subject: Book Clasps

You can contact Joycelyn Merchant in Chicago:
http://www.bookclasp.com/

Making clasps is fun and easy to do.  I don't do it the "metalsmith" way,
but instead make them out of wax and have them "lost wax" cast in bronze or
whatever metal is suitable to the book using either centrifugal or vacuum
casting.  You can get wax blocks, wax wire or wax sheets in a wide variety
of shapes and gauges at any decent jewelers' supply, or many online
sources. You also can get casting done either locally or by mail order.

You can see an example at
http://minsky.com/chatdet.htm
--
 Richard