[BKARTS] Rachel M. Kadel-Garcia

I don't quite follow the chain of ethical reasoning that leads to the
comment:

I think that it's quite inappropriate to rebind books without the owners'
permission or knowledge.  And I think that a lot of the maltreatment of
library books we see stems from not really thinking of the books as being
the property of the library.

    I found in my personal library a tattered copy of a book of folk songs
which belonged to the Kansas City Public Library. (Believe me when I say I
don't know how it got there, since I believe that people who steal books from
libraries should be put to sleep.  I lived in Kansas City over 35 years ago.)

    I rebound the book in blue leather with a nice 3/4 binding, and I am
returning it to the library.  No one can convince me that this is a bad thing
to do.

-

Jet Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from
the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.