Re: [BKARTS] secret book repair

If you were to point out the book to your librarian, then mostly likely
the book would be taken out of circulation for one month to three years
(depending on the library's level of efficiency) and be sent to be rebound
by a commercial bindery (that decision being made based on the fact that
obviously at least one patron uses the book to have noticed... and
therefore it should be kept -- don't worry on that score).  But it would
be rebound in buckram, much like the bound periodicals, and done for about
$10-$15 cost to the library.

If I were passionately in love with the book... I might mend it myself for
aesthetic reasons.

It is entirely likely that if you talk to the head of the library (not the
person behind the circulation desk, but someone higher up), that you can
get permission to rebind the book on the conditions that: you promise
to pay for replacement should the binding be unacceptable for any reason,
you check the book out and return it by the due date, and you do the work
for free.

The head of technical services at the University of Pennsylvania was kind
enough to find a leather book that needed repair for me when I needed one
for a workshop.  And, really, librarians can be very friendly.

 - Rachael Schechter