From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Matthew Garelick
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 9:06 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: secret book repair

I think you're generous; if it were an extremely rare and valuable book,
I'd encourage you to take this discussion to the librarians -- for
obvious reasons. But for something that is just a nice book, I think it
would be overly fastidious to consider it unethical to repair it. But I
could be wrong.

Matthew

Frances Castle wrote:

>See, I have a favorite book from a local university library and it is
totally falling apart. It would be so easy to fix. It is not particularly
old or valuable or anything, and I am pretty sure that I am the only person
who even knows it exists. I love the book and I want to fix it so they don't
throw it out. I know I could just point out the damage to them, but I'm
afraid that if I did they would throw it out immediately rather than spend
time or money fixing it. I work as a bookbinder who specializes in repair,
and it would be so easy for me to fix this book. Do you all think that these
thoughts of mine are totally unethical? Or maybe you think I am very
generous for wanting to repair a book free-of-charge? Thanks for the advice,