From: Peter Verheyen <verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mar 15, 2005 1:44 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] secret book repair

The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

I've seen the work of many "honorable" individuals who feel that they are
doing the "right" thing. Now, some of these "honorable" individuals have
the skills and experience to do this "necessary" work in a "responsible"
manner. "Honorable others" have no business whatsoever touching anyone
else's belongs without their express consent. I'm basing this on things I
have seen, read, and heard on this list and others, in workshops, on the
web, ... Unfortunately some of these "honorable others" also  take on
private work, teach, ...

They are not YOUR books. You may think you are doing the library a favor. I
disagree. While feeling that your cause is just you are committing
vandalism. I suppose I could fix the brakes on your car, medicate your
kids,  ...

Yikes, this thread is truly frightening!

Peter

At 01:08 PM 3/15/2005, you wrote:
>Frances, repair the book.  It is always easier to get forgiveness than to
>get permission.
>Francesca

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC