Re: [BKARTS] Secret book repair

    I think the whole ethical issue of repairing publically owned books involves
the concept of "ownership."  To assert that libraries "own" books, or worse, that
librarians are the owners of the books under their aegis, just reinforces the
popular conception of librarians as anal-retentive, secretive, and
overly-possessive.  I can only imagine the reaction of such a typical librarian to
an attempt by an unwelcome "outsider" to establish a dialog about the repair of a
book.
    Libraries don't own the books in a public library, either legally or morally.
The books in the library at 40th and Walnut here are owned by the city of
Philadelphia, in which I-- an affirmed taxpayer--- reside.
    Disrepair blocks the usefulness of books in the same way that trash can block
a sidewalk. Should I attempt to move a pile of trash blocking the sidewalk?  Maybe
I shouldn't--- I might make a mess of it, as indeed some children would.  Better
just leave it and its attendant hazard alone.  To me this is the ethical core of
the issue.  Better to do no wrong, sure, but to do nothing could--- as one reader
pointed out--- jeopardize the future of the volume under consideration.
Discretion and responsibility are the watchwords here.
    This is one of the most interesting threads ever arising on BOOK_ARTS.  Keep
the letters coming!

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

 The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels
to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from the front
window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.