Re: [BKARTS] Secret book repair

Librarians do not own the books, it is true (the libraries do). However, they are the duly appointed caretakers of the books and have been chosen for their knowledge, experience, and training. They are responsible for developing and maintaining the collection under their care. They are also responsible for ensuring that patrons who use the library treat the materials in ways that are acceptable as determined by the policies of the library.

Tax-paying citizens have no more right to alter, destroy, or add to a library's collection then they do to alter, destroy, or add to a munciple park. In both cases, these public spaces are being cared for according to long term plans; plans that the community is welcome to comment upon or even change according to established procedures such as town meetings or appeals to elected representatives. But encouraging each individual to summarily make changes to such public resources is calling for the sort of anarchy which our communities cannot or will not support.

Furthermore, a librarian encouraging this sort of behavior is only asking for trouble. Once it has become public knowledge that a library allows the public to change the material form of books without seeking permission, books will start coming back to the library in all sorts of states.

Another consideration is the historical significance of a book's original state. There are many books whose bindings are of historical interest, and it is the responsiblity of the librarians (not the general public) to assess the value of a book's binding regardless of its delapidated state and then to specify the sorts of repairs appropriate for the particular volume. If you have comments on the value of a book or its need for repair, no doubt your librarian will welcome them. Furthermore, if you would like to perform a repair and are a qualified practitioner, then it is also likely that a librarian would welcome the help. But it is essential to ask.

And if you think that a library's books are not owned by the institution, you're welcome to try to check out a shelf full and tell the library that you plan to keep them. In a few months your local judge will be happy to explain the relevant ownership issues.

Ken Price