Re: [BKARTS] Secret book repair

quote:
Librarians do not own the books, it is true (the libraries do).  However,
they are the duly appointed caretakers of the books >and have been chosen
for their knowledge, experience, and training.  They are responsible for
developing and maintaining >the collection under their care.  They are
also responsible for ensuring that patrons who use the library treat the
materials in >ways that are acceptable as determined by the policies of
the library.

If this is so, then please tell me why that book or any book ends up back in the stacks in that condition or that needs repair? If (as stated above) librarians are "responsible for developing and maintaining the collection under their care" and were so concerned about their(our?) "property", they wouldn't allow a damaged book back on the shelf. I wouldn't with my own collection.

And those folks that will fix with scotch tape will continue to do so
regardless of what we say here, laws of ownership or not.  IF a hinge is
loose, would it violate some moral code to take 5 minutes to fix it?  Or
dump it in the drop box and have it back on the shelf 2 days later to be
wrecked more? Which is more responsible?

Also, we have a Friends of the Library here.   They sell books from the
stacks as a non profit and the library then uses the money to buy more
books.  I have seen brand new books on relevant current topics for sale
there, and a WHOLE section on American Indian history ( in a county where
there were LOTS of Indians around (central valley, CALIF).  These were some
REALLY old books that had definite historical research value.  ANd they went
to FoL to be sold at 5 cents on the dollar..... And they are no longer
available to be used for research.  I can think of a lot of other books that
could be eliminated if they need room in the stacks for more books.  They
could start with the romance novels......

As an aside, when my boys were toddlers, my wife went to the library every
week and checked out the maximum number of books (I think it was around 40)
for us to read to them and as they got older, for them to read.  Obviously
these were children's books, (I'm not sure what the life expectancy of a
children's book in the library is...) and they were FILTHY.  The first thing
my wife would do is CLEAN the covers (she's a nurse....).  She, over the
years, probably cleaned most of the books in the children's section of the
library.  Was that wrong?  Did she change the the value of the book because
she cleaned the cover from sticky to at least being reasonably clean?  Was
that defacing?  No sarcasm here, as those who are purist  would contend that
she should have gotten permission first or leave it to the Librarian, as the
duly appointed caretaker, to clean those books by accepted practices and
procedures that are acceptable as determined by the policies of the
library........

Interesting discussion...............
Jim