Re: [BKARTS] Secret book repair

Now that I know that you are wanting to put an entire new case on the book,
I do agree that you should consult with the librarians about it. I'm sure
they would be overjoyed to have your help if they don't already have a
commercial bindery or, god forbid, bindery or conservation lab.
I am very surprised, however,  to see so many bookbinders and conservators
come down on the librarians' side of this issue. Ownership issues aside for
a moment-- Haven't we all seen the work of library binderies, usually public
but in many cases academic, come to us in tatters held together with some
Authorized variation of duct tape? Do we not cringe at the shelves upon
shelves of pva-covered leather volumes we see? I just think it's slightly
ironic to see so many of us suggest that having the book sent to the
library's tech. services department is the best option for this failing
volume. Not that hand bookbinders' "good intentions" are always the best
answer either, as Peter pointed out.
Having had a foot in both the librarian's and the book conservator's worlds,
I sometimes feel that there is a vast open chasm between caring for whole
collections and repairing a book in the way it needs to be repaired. There
is just no way for most librarians to keep up with their books' needs, even
if they did know something about proper, archivally sound book repair...
which in my own personal experience, although they may be interested, they
don't.