Re: [BKARTS] Secret book repair

Jim,

I would suggest that if you are seeing these things happening, then you
either have bad librarians or you have librarians with insufficient
resources.  If it is the first case then you should work to get better
librarians by appealing to whatever authorities they answer to.  But this
will probably cost your community, as experienced, caring librarians might
cost more on the average.  You might have to mount a really good argument
for the city to spend more on hiring better librarians.  But it sounds like
you have heaps of evidence.

If you have good librarians who lack resources, then you should help them
get better resources.  Donations, fundraisers, and supporting local
initiatives are good ways to go.  Again, you'll have to help do the legwork
to show the town why it is needed.

Finally, if you really want to have hands-on involvement in these repairs,
I'd really encourage asking.  And if you want to get a lot of them done,
then maybe you can organize classes on the subject with support from the
librarians.  There are probably no-hope books that are destined to be pulped
that they'd be willing to allow you to teach with.  Then you'd have a whole
team of people fixing the books with complete cooperation from the
institution.

All of these provide a lasting legacy that goes far beyond fixing a book
here and there when you have the time and interest.  Better librarians will
improved service all around.  More resources will mean more time for
repairs, but probably better programming and collection development as well.
Classes in book repair create community awareness and potential binders and
teachers for the future.

I've never met a librarian who liked putting a battered and dying book back
on the shelf.  They need help at the institutional level, not book by book.
At least if you ask and make your presence known, they can call you when
they need help and you can establish yourself as a resource they can rely on
and learn from.

And if the service in your library is poor, then I'd suggest that this is
the problem you should be trying to solve.  Not the weak spine on _Where the
Sidewalk Ends_.

Ken Price