Re: [BKARTS] Secret book repair

When that book was (hmm...in museum work they say "accessioned", do
they use that in the library context as well?) added to the
collection, the library not only put a bar code on it, but also
marked it inside somewhere with the library's name and perhaps put a
security strip in it somewhere. They collect overdue fines on it. If
a borrower loses it they have to pay a replacement fee. It's the
library that purchases the item or accepts the gift. What other
indications do you need that it is the library's property?

And no one has mentioned how rebinding will affect it: if there is a
security strip in there or marks of provenance that don't get
replaced when rebound, then it's easier to steal, eh?

I'm firmly on the talk to the librarians side. And I'm very much like
that 80-year-old in RI: just a couple of workshops under my belt, yet
the school librarians are thrilled to let me fix stuff. I know my
limitations: this is a high-circulation collection where there aren't
irreplaceable items.

And Peter is right on the money about saving ourselves: early on
there were books that I gladly would have spent hours working on that
the librarian just opted to get a new (and library-bound) copy.

And Susan is right on the money about items being discarded primarily
for lack of use: the school librarian is weeding out books from the
50s, 60s, 70s that are in fairly good condition. Why? Because they
aren't read.

---Amy (newbie repairer, school library volunteer)