Re: [BKARTS] Now a scanner question - recommendations?

Stephanie,

I currently have the Epson 4180 scanner  and I am pleased with it.  Most
of the photos
on my web site were scanned with it from slides.  Course, it depends on
the quality of the slides
photos or whatever.  But, I'd highly recommend it this Epson.

joan

www.joanmichaels.paque.com

Stephanie K wrote:

Hello you helpful people,

Ok, I've got the Epson 2200 down, and now I'm just choosing a scanner!  I
will be doing primarily flat art scanning - line art & gray washes, some
color - and some slide scanning.

The top contenders from what I've researched are: the Epson 4180 at
$200, or
the Epson 4870 photo at $400.  The 4180 is 3.4 dmax, the 4870 is 3.8
dmax.

From what I understand, the 4870's superior at slide scanning & has
programs

to ease that (digital ice, to help remove dust digitally) - but I don't really have a way to test that. But maybe the 4180 is also excellent? I'm just trying to decide if a 3.4 dmax is excellent ENOUGH - do I really need to spend an extra $200 - but if the difference is that profound, it's worth it.

Any feedback?  Do any of you have experience with either scanner, or
another
favorite you'd recommend?

Thanks again.  It's so great to have ppl out there who've already tested
this stuff.... :)

Stephanie

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>