Re: [BKARTS] WAS:Secret book repair - when good books go bad

I am a librarian and I was one of the people who made
a somewhat negative comment about what librarians may
do with the book.  I've worked as both a rare book
librarian and as a public services librarian who (to
my own rare book horror) became a major "weeding
librarian" for a public library.  I eventually was
glad I was one of them because I learned how little
some of the other librarians know about rare books.  I
do not fault them because no one really taught them
any better.  I did my best to convince them to bring
materials to me if they may have a question about
either weeding, book repair (or processing for that
matter).  I do hope that rare book librarians will
read this and see that maybe some of the other
librarians in their institutions can use some
education on what to look for in a rare book and what
to do when they find them.  Having good PR within your
institution will help to stop valuable books or any
sort from being defaced or thrown away.

Karen Bulow
Librarian

http://www.overduemedia.com/archive.aspx?strip=20030425