[BKARTS] A Call for Entries or Entrees & Tips for “Cooking” Your Own Book - Los Angeles

There's Still Time to Think About  Edible Books – A Call for Entries or
Entrees & Tips for “Cooking” Your Own  Book
To inspire and help book artists and  book lovers who're considering cooking
up a book for the City of West Hollywood  and the Los Angeles Book Arts Center’
s annual Edible Book  Tea Party on Saturday, April 2, we’re sending out these
weekly updates and tips  on creating edible books.
Our purpose is to celebrate books –  there is no competition or judging, just
the joy of creating your own book art  and taking in the imagination of your
fellow book lovers. Last year, our  youngest participant was 5 years old – a
testament to the inspiration that books  have on our lives – and if she can do
it, so can you!
TIP FOR WEEK 3
The last few weeks, we got the  creative juices flowing by thinking about
favorite books – books that changed  your life, characters that inspired you,
scenes that leapt off the pages and  into your imagination.  We also recommended
taking a tour of your local  market to see how those images could be recreated
in food.
This week, let’s narrow it down. An  edible book is easiest to make when its
focus is manageable – it’s time to  choose one book, one scene, one
character, or a theme and the ingredients needed  to make it come to life.
So, what’s your favorite  book?
Which character or theme do you most  identify with?
When you read the book, or think  about it, what is the most striking image
that springs to mind when you think  about that character or theme?
* Is it a scene – such as Huck and  Jim floating down river in “Huckleberry
Finn”?
* Could it be the character’s  clothing or belongings – like Sherlock Holmes’
 hat and pipe?
* Do you picture a place or setting  – Alice’s Wonderland, perhaps?  Or, the
fire station from “Farenheit 451”? Maybe even a distant planet as  imagined
by Ursula LeGuin, Orson Scott Card or Jules Verne?
* What’s tangible about the theme?  What aspects about the theme could be
illustrated? How, specifically, could you  show Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy
overcoming their “Pride and Prejudice”? Or, would  it be simpler to demonstrate Jane
Austen’s themes of security (as represented by  gentlemen with a certain level
of income) and marriage (perhaps indicated by  wedding rings)?
Next week, we’ll help you with  your trial run – take the character, scene
or theme you’ve chosen  and illustrate it in food!
READY TO JOIN US?
Whether you’re thinking about bring  an entry, or just want to join the
celebration, here’s more information on the  Edible Book Tea Party and a sign-up
form, if you’re planning to bring an entry  on April 2.
Remember, it’s FREE to enter and  attend, though it will help us to know how
many entries to expect on the day.  Thank You!
WHO:  YOU & The Los Angeles Book Arts Center
WHAT: The Edible Book Tea  Party
WHEN:  Saturday,  April 2, 2005
WHERE: Plummer Park Recreation Center, 7377 Santa  Monica Blvd., West
Hollywood
WHY: To have fun and celebrate the  book and book art in all its entertaining
and delicious  forms!
EVENT DETAILS: Set-up for  participants with edible books  NOON – 1:30 p.m

Open to public viewing  2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Tea  Party – eat the books!  4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
TO SIGN-UP, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM  BELOW AND E-MAIL IT TO
LAGourmet@xxxxxxx
Your Name:
Your E-mail:
(LABAC will not give out your e-mail  address or other information)
Your address:
Your phone:
Title of your  entry:
Book & author your entry is  based upon:
For more information, or to register  your entry via phone, please contact
Lisa Deutsch at 310-657-2616, or  LAGourmet@xxxxxxxx