Re: [BKARTS] lie/lay(was "paper")

 To confuse things further:

From:
http://jamesmskipper.tripod.com/jamesmskipper/grammar.html
I once told a paint and body shop manager, "I left the bumper lying on the
ground in front of the car." He said, "You mean 'laying on the ground' don't
you? Inanimate objects can't lie!"
It's true that inanimate objects can't "lie," but they "can" lie! He had the
rule backward. It should be: "Inanimate objects can't lay." Even some
animate objects can't lay. Dogs can't lay. Cows and pigs can't lay. But hens
and bricklayers can.

From:
http://uwf.edu/writelab/writeadvice/wa-goodgram7.htm
Another especially troublesome form of lie is lying, the present participle
of lie. Lying may be used with both animate and inanimate objects.

     The scissors are lying on the desk.
     Tourists are lying on the beach getting sunburned.