  From: Randolph Huebsch<mailto:rahuebsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 8:14 PM
  Subject: Re: [BKARTS] lie/lay(was "paper")

  To confuse things further:

  From:
  http://jamesmskipper.tripod.com/jamesmskipper/grammar.html<http://jamesmskipper.tripod.com/jamesmskipper/grammar.html>
  I once told a paint and body shop manager, "I left the bumper lying on the
  ground in front of the car." He said, "You mean 'laying on the ground' don't
  you? Inanimate objects can't lie!"
  It's true that inanimate objects can't "lie," but they "can" lie! He had the
  rule backward. It should be: "Inanimate objects can't lay." Even some
  animate objects can't lay. Dogs can't lay. Cows and pigs can't lay. But hens
  and bricklayers can.

  From:
  http://uwf.edu/writelab/writeadvice/wa-goodgram7.htm<http://uwf.edu/writelab/writeadvice/wa-goodgram7.htm>
  Another especially troublesome form of lie is lying, the present participle
  of lie. Lying may be used with both animate and inanimate objects.

  The scissors are lying on the desk.
  Tourists are lying on the beach getting sunburned.

                    Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com<http://www.philobiblon.com/>>