Re: [BKARTS] Short Book Arts Questionnaire

------------------------------------
L.A Book Arts, Inc.
The Custom Bindery
Krause Intaglio
310.360.7265
www.Custombindery.com
------------------------------------
On Mar 25, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Marnie Powers-Torrey wrote:

PLEASE RESPOND OFF-LIST to marnie.torrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Fellow Book Artist,

I need your help.

I am giving a lecture this summer entitled, "Why Books?". I will be
talking about the experiences that led to my involvement in book arts
and fine press. I would also like to present other artists' involvement
with the book form. This is an opportunity to educate the local
community about the vitality and vibrancy of the book arts.

Please answer the following four questions. Be as brief or as thorough
as you'd like. I'd rather have a one sentence response than none at
all.
I appreciate your time!

1. Define artist book (go ahead, take a stab at it!).

Klima, Stefan: Artist Books- a critical Survey

2. Would you characterize yourself as a book person (binder,
conservator, etc) who recognized the book as an art form, or as an
artist who found books to be a fertile format, or as another animal
altogether?

Huib and Krimpen once said: A Book is a Book than it is a Book.

Master-craftsman, a book is a container (eg) to maintain information
and make it accessible.

3. Why books? What is it about the book form, or the book as a concept,
or the book as a vehicle, or the book as a container, or books in
general that has inspired you to make them?

I print, I etch -therefore I bind.

4. What are the usual materials that you employ to make books? What are
the most wild and innovative materials you've used?

paper -mouldmade +handmade parchement, leather, wood, metal, plastics.

I will be showing slides in conjunction with this lecture. If you have
slide or slides that you would be willing to allow me to use, please
send them to me. Your name and the title of the piece would be
presented
each time I used the slide. I am hoping to build a personal slide
library for teaching and lecturing purposes, so I would very much like
to keep the slides. However, if you would like them returned, I am
happy
to do so. Alternatively, with your permission, I could have a copy made
and return the original.

I very much appreciate your time and your willingness to share your
experiences. Please respond to me at marnie.torrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx by
April 10, 2005.

Thank you,

Marnie