Re: [BKARTS] Book Display Stands

Had a few questions/comments on the PETG (Vivak).

We have not really encountered this problem in the cradles we have made.
While we always make our cradles to a specific book, we also "recycle"
older ones recutting as needed. As a matter of course we try to
preserve/reusing existing folds. The only time I every had a problem was
when I scored the PETG (Vivak) with a knife prior to folding which caused
it to snap like regular plexi.

The PETG is a wonderful material, but it has been my experience that it
will "set" or harden at the fold after a few days, and break if
refolded.
Bill

The other comment related to suppliers. We found ours in the Yellow Pages, but many are also online, and can be found. Also look under plastics suppliers. In terms of sheet size, I believe the size we ordered was 96" x 48." For shipping, we had the vendor cut down to three sheets 48" x 32," i.e. easily shippable, and at 32" easy to fit in our board shear for cutting. The thicknesses we originally ordered were .040" and .060," whereby the .060" was the most useful, especially for larger books. Logically, the thicker the material, the harder to fold.

For folding we found that the clamp on the board shear was a great help,
but even better, especially for pieces that fit was the job backer. We also
bought a "break" for folding metal which works well, too. It's a cheap
piece of equipment @ >$50.

Hope this helps.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen