[BKARTS] Removing smudges from page edges

Anyone have tips for removing smudges, fingerprints or dirt from page edges?
We are asking a binder to re-bind a set of books for presentation to a
particular individual.  But some of the books have been in a warehouse for a
number of years and have collected dirt and smudges on the page edges.  This
is readily noticeable when one pulls the book from the shelf, and we would
hate to spoil what will otherwise be a very attractive binding.

Mark Klemens