[BKARTS] Fake Gold and Leather

All of the older (and I believe some current) synthetic gold hotstamping foils use a brass alloy in the pigmented layer and this "Dutch gold" is what tarnishes. Increasingly modern synthetic gold foils use a colored aluminum layer and this does not tarnish with age. The manufacturer of your foil will be happy to let you know which they use.
As to cost, while real gold foil is much more expensive than synthetic gold, so little is generally used on a book that excepting very large editions I can't imagine the added cost having a very noticable impact on a shop's cash flow. If push comes to shove I think you will find most one off customers happy to pay a slight premium for "real gold".
Beyond cost one advantage of the aluminum based "gold" foils is the very much wider range of color available, from warm and mellow to cold and bright. It is often surprising how great a difference to the "feel" of a job the gold shade will make.
Lastly you might consider using glaire and gold leaf with your hotstamping; done well no foil will come even close to that quality most especially for crispness of image. Best, James

THIS EMAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENTS HAVE BEEN SCANNED BY McAFEE ONLINE VIRUS SCAN.