Re: [BKARTS] messages to Book Arts-L from museum-security.org

Dear Debbie
I am writing to reassure you that is not a hoax. Crores and lakhs are the
way large numbers of Rupees in India are quantified-I was there last year
and unfortunately cannot remember exactly how it goes, but its something
like a lakhs are 50,000 ruppes and crores are a million lakhs (I don¹t think
that is right, but its something like that) Since, when I was there, the
exchange was something like 45 rupees to the dollar, the numbers become mind
bogglingly huge. I never really did comprehend how much things cost during
my trip. I wish I knew my currencies better, but that is the gist of it.

As things can get very tense in India, with the numbers of people, religions
and languages, it¹s nearly impossible for us in the west to begin to
understand it. It¹s the most complicate, and amazing place I¹ve ever been.
The idea that someone would torch a library and also a vegetable cart for
the same reason gives you only a glimmer in to the strange logic. Sadly, I
fear, its very true.

Regards

Miriam Schaer