Re: [BKARTS] messages to Book Arts-L from museum-security.org

according to the website Debbie posted, then, 10 crores is close to 3
million USD. (the website says 16 crores = 3.29 million usd or 4.87
cr = 1 million usd. )

f.

Dear Debbie
I am writing to reassure you that is not a hoax. Crores and lakhs are the
way large numbers of Rupees in India are quantified-I was there last year
and unfortunately cannot remember exactly how it goes, but its something
like a lakhs are 50,000 ruppes and crores are a million lakhs (I don't think
that is right, but its something like that) Since, when I was there, the
exchange was something like 45 rupees to the dollar, the numbers become mind
bogglingly huge. I never really did comprehend how much things cost during
my trip. I wish I knew my currencies better, but that is the gist of it.

As things can get very tense in India, with the numbers of people, religions
and languages, it's nearly impossible for us in the west to begin to
understand it. It's the most complicate, and amazing place I've ever been.
The idea that someone would torch a library and also a vegetable cart for
the same reason gives you only a glimmer in to the strange logic. Sadly, I
fear, its very true.

Regards

Miriam Schaer