From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kevin Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:58 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Need Cave Paper Use Help

Hello All,

I want to use those gorgeous Cave papers for binding some books. I'm
hoping someone on the list has  wrapped covers with this paper and can
offer some help.

I'm using the Red Walnut Cave Flax Heavyweight to cover a case bound
book using .082 binders board. The adhesive is 60/40 mix
PVA/Metylcellulose.

Here's the problem. When I glue up the paper it cockles, ripples and
just goes wonky. Then it takes lots of pressure and rubbing to get it to
stick to the board, it just wants to keep bubbling and being all around
obstinate. Once it's stuck good to the board, it seems to be just fine.

So, how do I get this paper to settle down and take it like a man? I'd
experiment myself, but the paper is so expensive that I have little to
waste.  Anyone out there with experience binding with this paper?

Thanks,

Kevin

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>