Re: [BKARTS] Need Cave Paper Use Help

Yes, I think you can use either wheat paste or PVA on the inside of the sheet to relax the paper and then the same adhesive to attach the boards.
Emily

Emily Martin The Naughty Dog Press 742 7th Avenue South Iowa City, IA 52240 USA 319 338-7266 319 338-5741 (fax) http://www.emilymartin.com emilyjmartin@xxxxxxxxx The University of Iowa Center for the Book emily-martin@xxxxxxxxx On May 23, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Signa Houghteling wrote:

Emily,

If you use PVA on the exposed side, the texture will change; if on the
inside, you have to use PVA only to adhere. I think if you want to used
wheat paste, you should just spread it on, and let the paper relax until it
settles down (as was suggested on this List), then reapply where necessary
and adhere. Does that sound reasonable?

Signa

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Emily Martin
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 9:42 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Need Cave Paper Use Help

Kevin, I use these papers a lot and if you brush on a layer of straight PVA and let it dry, you can proceed with your 60/40 mix and the paper will behave like a good paper should. It is such wonderfully strong paper that I usually use it in non-adhesive bindings and the cockling etc is not an issue. Emily

Emily Martin The Naughty Dog Press 742 7th Avenue South Iowa City, IA 52240 USA 319 338-7266 319 338-5741 (fax) http://www.emilymartin.com emilyjmartin@xxxxxxxxx The University of Iowa Center for the Book emily-martin@xxxxxxxxx On May 18, 2005, at 12:57 AM, Kevin Thomas wrote:

Hello All,

I want to use those gorgeous Cave papers for binding some books. I'm
hoping
someone on the list has  wrapped covers with this paper and can offer
some
help.

I'm using the Red Walnut Cave Flax Heavyweight to cover a case bound
book
using .082 binders board. The adhesive is 60/40 mix PVA/Metylcellulose.

Here's the problem. When I glue up the paper it cockles, ripples and
just
goes wonky. Then it takes lots of pressure and rubbing to get it to
stick to
the board, it just wants to keep bubbling and being all around
obstinate.
Once it's stuck good to the board, it seems to be just fine.

So, how do I get this paper to settle down and take it like a man? I'd
experiment myself, but the paper is so expensive that I have little to
waste.  Anyone out there with experience binding with this paper?

Thanks,

Kevin

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>