Re: [BKARTS] Correcting date on books to be leather-treated

Cara -- I think the date doesn't make much difference here, you are still
in the era of poor leather tan.  That is assuming that it is leather at
all, but I think you are a bit ahead of the synthetic leathers.   Frankly,
I would not put any of the items you listed on these books.  The sealers
will really do only that, seal the surfaces, which is done only when the
leathers have already started to rot and the books need to be handled.  The
oils and preservatives are also short term measures and are in the long
term detrimental, so the longer you can put off doing them the better.  If
the leather is so dry as to be showing signs of splitting along the spine
joints, I would  apply a LITTLE bit of Fredelka formula leather dressing
along the joint with the tip of my finger or a bit of rag.
   In general, polishing and dressing leather bindings, while it improves
their looks, is not beneficial nor does it prolong the life of a leather
that was poorly tanned.  If the leather was stored in over heated
conditions, the dressing is not really going to reverse that damage
either.   Over dressing, on the other hand, either by applying too much or
doing it frequently, will hasten the degradation of the leather.  Sorry to
rain on the parade, but maybe someone else on the list is aware of some
new, improved miracle lotion or whatever to share with us all on this point.
 Dorothy Africa