Re: [BKARTS] Kansas City

John,

What brings you to KC and when? Remember...everything's up-to-date here!

There's Hammerpress run by Brady Vest in the Crossroad District. Check out
www.hammerpress.net -- he does some really neat stuff. He was one of the
exhibitors at the New York Stationery Show in the recently established
letterpress category. If you are here on the first Friday of the month, his
studio is usually open for First Fridays when the galleries in the
Crossroads area are open. www.crossroadscommunityassociation.org

The Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering and Technology on the campus
of the University of Missouri - Kansas City (UMKC) is wonderful.

Bloomsday Books -- a great place to browse used and rare books -- just moved
from Brookside (just around the corner from my home) to the Crossroads
District.

On the Country Club Plaza, there's a Paper Source -- one link in the chain
of stores of the Chicago-based company. It's the best local source of papers
and bookbinding materials.

Nearby is the Spencer Research Library on the campus of The University of
Kansas (KU) in Lawrence, KS. The Art & Design School at KU offers a
letterpress class and they have a great lab there with a couple Vandercook
Universal IIIs. Linda Sampson-Talleur is the instructor there. Lawrence is
about a 45-minute drive from KC.

Then there's always the Craftboy Workshop -- the hobby letterpress and book
arts workshop in my basement. There's more info at www.craftboyworkshop.com.
You are welcome to visit on your trip to KC (as are other Book_Arts-L
listmembers)! Hey, I'd even be willing to play tour-guide.

I'm sure that there are some other things that just aren't coming to me
right now. But, if I come up with anything else and they warrant it, I'll
send a follow up.

Chuck Harper