Re: [BKARTS] Leather conditioning

On May 25, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Dorothy Africa wrote:

maybe someone else on the list is aware of some new, improved miracle
lotion or whatever to share with us all on this point.
 Dorothy Africa

On May 26, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Wendy Jones wrote:

Some additional responses to Cara's query about her friend's
Shakespeare
set.  I agree completely with Dorothy's advice.  Conservation studies
indicate that leather dressing can be harmful in the long run and is
mostly cosmetic.

******************************

Further information for those who are interested:
The Leather Conservation Centre in England published a pamphlet
entitled SURFACE COATINGS FOR BINDING LEATHERS in 2002 (ISBN
0-946072-07-8). It has some interesting information about various, but
not all, coating materials that are available.

I was asked to write a review of that publication, and it was published
in the AIC JOURNAL, Summer 2004 Vol. 43 No. 2.
This is certainly a topic of interest to me, especially considering
some of the concerns with various products that are available.
It would be wonderful to have, as Dorothy has suggested, a "new,
improved miracle lotion".
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695