[BKARTS] Secret Belgian Boxes

Marjorie,

How great that your Paper Arts group was so taken with the Secret Belgian boxes.  I'm delighted that you were inspired to try it yourself, and that more people are picking up on this really marvellous structure.  Feel free to pass on my web site as well, for more examples of how the binding can be varied.

I don't use grommets myself; when I use boards I prefer to pierce small holes and bone them closed around the thread, but I definitely see the appeal of grommets - - avoids sore palms from gripping the awl.

Good luck with pursuing it!

Cheers,
Cara

Cara Schlesinger
Faenwyl Bindery
Brooklyn and Youngsville, New York
http://faenwyl.photosite.com

-- Marjorie Coffey <coffeyaz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cara,  Thanks for the photos and information about the Belgian binding.  I
bought a kit from quietfiredesign.com as I couldn't travel to out of town
workshops.
    You inspired me to try to figure out how to make the boxes, and my third
try did so well that I gave a brief presentation at our Paper Arts meeting.
I've seldom had a more enthusiastic response and requests to teach a class.
At my age I don't want the hassle of teaching and Suzanne Cannon asked that
I not reproduce her very well done instruction booklet.  I've given out the
web site to order the kit for themselves and to practice the construction.
    I agree with your enthusiasm for the design as it is hard to find a
binding where the book opens flat so beautifully.  It took me quite a while
to find two part eyelet/grommets, but I prefer them to the single kind that
leave rough edges on the inside. After accumulating what must be every known
hole punch and eyelet setter ever made, I can now go full speed ahead.
Again, many, many thanks.  Marjorie  Coffey