Re: [BKARTS] binding with papyrus?

I have used papyrus once as a small cover, folded over mulberry paper.  One thing I noticed immediately:papyrus doesn't fold so well.  It cracks, especially when folded with the grain.  It's very hard to fold *against* the grain however, and much more durable in that direction.

In most papyrus, there are layers, so there are grains going in both directions, however you can still bend it easier in one direction versus the other.  For the use you are suggesting, it should be okay.  You may have to experiment with the papyrus to find the best method of fixing it to the board--it also doesn't soak up adhesive very well, but will come out okay if you press it and cover the edges with an end sheet well.  Backing it with a kozo or other strong tissue around the folded edges might also keep it from cracking.

Best of luck in your project, let me know how it turns out.

Liz

>>> kbk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 08/04/05 12:28 PM >>>
hello y'all,  i'm creating a photo album (really a bound book with only 4
pages -- so a thin spine, but the cover will be of davey board) for my
parents for their anniversary.  i'd like to use papyrus somehow in the
binding.  i'm thinking that i may just use a thick strip of the papyrus
down the front cover of the book, and use traditional bookcloth or paper
for the edges and spine.

my question is this -- has anyone ever used papyrus in a binding?  if so,
did you back it?  any tips? advice? caveats?

- kristen