Re: [BKARTS] linen bookcloth

When faced with a similar situation as you, i.e. the needed length of cloth
is longer than the width of the roll, I simply cut it out with the grain in
the opposite direction, i.e. the needed length runs parallel to the
selvage/edge of the roll. While this is counter-intuitive by balancing the
pull with linings on the other side one can end up with a board which lays
flat.

You didn't say what you were making. If it is for covering the trays of a
drop-spine box, the grain is irrelevant in my experience, and depending on
the thickness of the boards, it's pretty irrelevant for the case as well,
and easily controlled with linings on the inside of the tray.

My thoughts,

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC