From: "roroberts@xxxxxxxx" <roroberts@xxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 12:01 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Perfect Endsheets Every Time?

Greetings, All.
Though I've made a few books now, I still have an occasional endpaper
refuse to stay down in the inner joint, flexing up at inner board edge and
making unsightly creases. Sometimes careful work with a bone folder will
get the paper to stay in the joint, but would you share your expertise in
getting Perfect Endsheets Every Time?
I should clarify that I am talking about tight-joint leather bindings in
which the pastedowns are dried with both boards fully open and pulled back
150 to 180 degrees. I'm using wheatpaste, and this difficulty applies
especially to books sewn on raised bands (if that matters.) To further
complicate things, the endsheets are usually hand marbled, so rewetting
can easily cause color smears or loss. Too, when closing the boards for
the first time after drying, I work with the folder to try and keep all
flexed into the inner joint while closing.

Bob Roberts