From: daved <daved@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 5, 2005 10:39 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Coptic Bindig Instructions --With Advice

Hi Eugenie,
    I've played with several ways of finishing up a Coptic binding from,
initially sewing all the signatures on and then sewing the cover and a
second time into the last signature. Later I rested the book as it would sit
on a book shelf to sew the last signature and cover on leaving it wide open
and sewing it tight. I would then tie a slip knot on the inside at the
second sewing station and 3rd, 4th etc. The slip knot would prevent the
cover and signature from loosening while sewing. Now I'm experimenting with
cutting grooves on the inside of the  last cover between the sewing
stations. I saw something like this in medieval book bindings from Szirmai :
the Archaeology of Medieval Book Binding. I've made several books this way
and glue in the end sheets over the sewing on the inside cover. I've noticed
that this also prevents the wax and color from the waxed linen cord from off
setting onto the first/last signature. The down side to this binding is that
I haven't sewn the cover on the same way twice yet. Soon I'll have a sewing
pattern written down. Cheers Daved