From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Linda M. Cunningham
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:38 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Another delurker

Hi all

I, too, have been lurking for a couple of weeks, and came to bookbinding
through a course the Heritage Weavers and Spinners (I'm their newsletter
editor, as well as a spinner and certified Master
Knitter) ran in June.  For someone trained as a writer, editor, indexer,
and DTP expert in the "real" world, the physical construction/production
end is a lot of fun.

I've lived in Vancouver, Ottawa, Washington DC, and New York City,
although I am back in Calgary, AB (Canada), where I returned (I grew up
here) to finish off a Master in Environmental Design degree, and have
been experimenting with ways to incorporate my fibre work with
bookbinding, using both shaped knitting and felting.  The next goal I've
set for my wheel is to start spinning my own linen sewing thread.

Calgary is a great place to be "into" books -- I've noticed fellow
Calgarians here on the list -- and fibre: we've had a bad rep of being a
cultureless, redneck wasteland that some of us are trying to change.
<grin>

And I'm off to my first book-related event on Saturday, when I'm going
to Nancy Jacobi's slide show.

Cheers
Linda