From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kim
Avagliano
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 9:36 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Markings on textblock

I have been following this listserv for many months (lurking) and appreciate
all I have learned from the queries and answers posted daily.  Having taught
some very basic book repair techniques to librarians for general circulating
collections, I recently received the following question from a librarian at
a college library:

"I would like to request some advice on a book cleaning problem:

We received a donation of books from another library that we are now in the
process of preparing for circulation. One of the issues is removing the
previous library's markings - unfortunately they stamped "Withdrawn" on all
three sides of the textblock, on top of their name, in some type of
permanent marking ink. We would like to remove it or cover it over. We've
tried just crossing it out with a black marker but that causes bleeding into
the pages. We then thought maybe we could cover it over using a white
marker. The only one we tried was the Pentel White Marker, Fine Tip and it
does not cover well enough (maybe there is a better marker out there). I
also tried to scratch off the markings with an exacto knife. That doesn't
really work, damages the book and takes too long.
I appreciate any input you may have for resolving this cleaning issue."

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Kim Avagliano
Monmouth County Library