From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Matthew Garelick
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:22 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Boxes

Dorothy Africa wrote:

> Hi RIchard, and all interested parties
>   While we are on the subject of boxes, do you have any good tips for
> making drawer boxes??  I have done a couple fo these and always found
> them problematic.

Hi Dorothy,
I've made a couple of these, using the directions in the excellent
Library of Congress guide Boxes For The Protection Of Books (printed by
the Government Printing Office, and available at any "depository"
library). As it is printed by the government on our dime, it is OK to
photocopy it in whole or in part. I think it might address your
questions (though perhaps not in the case of a really humungous book).

I don't make them for conservation purposes, but to hold two journals of

different construction (this is really just an excuse to build the
things). There are a few pictures starting here:
http://www.mattthehat.com/otto1.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page
for the "next" arrows) of one that I made for a friend, containing a
case-bound journal, and a long-stitch with wrapper.

Matthew

--
Matthew Garelick
www.mattthehat.com